Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Inner Voice

Its Saturday after Thanksgiving, and I had that small battle with my inner voice that I have, up until now, usually lost.  You know what I am talking about; the voice which says, 'awww, put it off until Monday, it is a holiday weekend...'

My inner voice is lazy and selfish, so, if I have committed to a course of action, I resort to making 'deals' with myself.  This may sound a bit silly, but it is a technique which works for me.  I offer two rewards to that voice, in exchange for just getting up and doing the workout: an extra hot shower afterwards, and, this moment when I am done and I can look back and know I didnt quit.  I specifically and consciously think of such things as rewards, and soon my inner voice gets into the habit of regarding them that way, too.

Further rewards are coming in the future, such as my 3 week weigh-in to see if any weight has been lost.  Of course, in the long run, sticking with it and transforming my body into a healthy machine full of life is the ultimate reward.

Trainers say, 'listen to your body,' and this is what they mean.  Get to know that inner voice, not just on the exercize mat, but throughout your day.  I promise you, Inner Voice will make things a lot easier for you if you listen and give it rewards and incentives.

1 comment:

  1. I guarantee you the slightest action you take will come with reward!...But just know that after a few weeks, that little degenerate voice will disappear because you'll find yourself a little addicted to the process. I had 2 days off this week for the first time in almost 3 months, and it felt a little uncomfortable. I was very happy to get back to the burn.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged, but material inappropriate to the topic, such as spam, intentionally offensive messages, or other content I deem unfit will not be published.